Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Remember The Days of Old

"I remember the days of old; I meditate on all Your works; I muse on the work of Your hands. I spread out my hands to You; My soul longs for You like a thirsty land. " Psalm 143:5-6

This Psalm is attributed to David. He is in a state of despair because of his enemies and because of his own spiritual condition. In the Psalm, he writes, "For the enemy has persecuted my soul" (V. 3), "Do not hide your face from me" (V. 7), "Revive me, O Lord, for Your name's sake! For Your righteousness' sake bring my soul out of trouble" (V. 11).

In this state, David remembered the days of old when he was in fellowship with God and aware of His presence. For example, David surely remembers\ed slaying the giant. He remembered as he ran to him saying, "The battle is the Lord's. He remembered the victory God gave.

Today, there are those who are in the same condition spiritually. One person said, "I would give anything in the world to feel like I did right after I was saved." Some say that those good feelings lasted for weeks, some say months, some say years. They remember the days of old and know there is a quality of life they are not experiencing now.

What is the trouble? They have lost that close feeling with God. They have lost that victory over sin. However, these feelings are only symptoms of a greater problem which is their approach to living the Christian life. They have lived according to the flesh rather than in the power of the Holy Spirit. They The have been "doing their best for Jesus" just as someone encouraged them to do.

It is possible to say to such people that they can live again like they did in the days of old. They can move from self effort to divine sufficiency. They only need to begin living out their oneness with Christ.


-David Kuykendall Ministries. www.livingbygrace.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment on the validity or practicality of a post, add your perspective here.